agent_genkey failed trying to build stretch on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi,

I have set up a build system on Ubuntu 16.04 that works well if I try to build for Wheezy or Jessie, but that fails if I build for Stretch.

The build fails in the chroot stage after reading the package lists.

Reading package lists...
gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir '/root/.gnupg'
gpg: keybox '/root/.gnupg/pubring.kbx' created
gpg: agent_genkey failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
gpg: key generation failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir '/root/.gnupg'
gpg: no default secret key: No secret key
gpg: signing failed: No secret key

If have read that changes to gnupg might be causing it to try and present a prompt, which then failes because it is not running through a TTY.
I have noticed that Ubuntu seems to use a fairly old live-build package (3.0~a57). Could this be the problem and should I focus on updating the live-build environment?

Below are the configuration parameters I have set. The flavour is a custom build kernel that I have added to packages.chroot. I have tried without and the build fails too with the same message.

lb config noauto \
  --mode debian \
  --binary-images tar \
  --chroot-filesystem plain \
  --distribution stretch \
  --parent-distribution stretch \
  --parent-debian-installer-distribution stretch \
  --debian-installer-distribution stretch \
  --linux-flavours ccos \
  --architectures amd64 \
  --apt-indices false \
  --security true \
  --memtest none \
  --initramfs-compression lzma \
  --firmware-chroot false \
  --apt-recommends false \
  --archive-areas "main non-free" \
  --backports false \
  --parent-mirror-chroot-backports http://ftp.debian.org/debian \
  --parent-mirror-binary-backports http://ftp.debian.org/debian \
  --mirror-chroot-backports http://ftp.debian.org/debian \
  --mirror-binary-backports http://ftp.debian.org/debian \
  --debug \
  "${@}"

Hoping for suggestions of what to try next. Right now my only constraint is that I have to work with Ubuntu 16.04.

thanks,
Erik van Linstee