Re: IMPORTANT: Do live Debian images have a future?

My 2¢ would be does it load drivers for everything on the target computer, does the basic desktop operate/navigate, and will it install the same desktop while offline.  Any packages to add (such as LibreOffice) can add off of additional media.  Basic functionality comes first.  System, computer hardware for the box ONLY, a desktop, and package manager is good enough for me.

Preseed capability is desirable, but a wish at this point.

On Jul 5, 2017 6:32 AM, "Steve McIntyre" <steve@einval.com> wrote:
metalsmith@rangeweb.net wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>I would like to know what is wanted in testing these images.  The
>installer itself I am sure.  But what else is really desired?
>
>I am sure that there is a list of test cases somewhere but it would be
>nice to know where that is.

That's one of the missing pieces, I'll be honest - we *don't* have a
sensible list of test cases to help evaluate images. If you'd like to
help right now, this would be a good thing to start with. A page in
the Debian wiki would be lovely. :-)

As a start, my own simple testing for the last few years has basically been:

 * does the image boot to a sensible-looking desktop?
 * can I start a browser?
 * will it load and display http://news.bbc.co.uk/?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt