Re: Using initrd as livefs_root

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 22 May 2017 08:58:21 +0200
Daniel Lindgren <bd.dali@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > At boot I get an error message, "(initramfs) Unable to find a
> > > medium containing a live file system". I'm guessing that the
> > > contents of the appended cpio archive isn't added to the
> > > initramfs.
> >
> > If you still get that error after trying what I suggested above,
> > you can add »break« to the Linux command line parameters.  This
> > will spawn a shell during the early boot stage.  Once you get the
> > shell check if /live/filesystem.squashfs exists.
> >

> There's a busybox shell available after the error message, I've
> checked /live and there's only an empty subfolder named medium there.

I just tried it and it seems like it's necessary to add the live folder
explicitly to the cpio archive, i.e.:

    (cd ~/lbinitrd/binary; echo live$'\n'live/filesystem.squashfs | \
        cpio -o -H newc) | gzip --fast > filesystem.cpio.gz

Appending that to initrd.img did the trick for me, I hope it works for
you too!  Other than that, insufficient RAM could also be a reason
(you need more than twice the size of the initrd.img).

Regards
Lukas