Re: Problem with DSL setup in Debian Live 8

Then you should confirm your setup.   Your service provider's proposed (and supported) configuration would be a modem or modem/router combination that presents the PPPoE login as configured in that modem or modem/router combination.  You can then connect multiple devices as a LAN on your side of that equipment..  It also means that your configuration (modem or modem/router combination) doesn't change as the size of the network increases.

You would only choose DSL for your connection type with Live if you need this login presented by your computer.  However, that means you have only one device at a time with Internet access, and you are dependent upon the maintenance (and inclusion) of a PPPoE client with each major/minor upgrade of Live, as you the Live boot feature.  The Live boot feature is (simply) to see if a particular computer works with the distribution on a trial basis - it's not meant for production use.

Given that you may want to connect cell phones, smart TV's, and the like in the future, I would start thinking about the network getting larger.  See the first paragraph.

Charlie