Re: Building an image with a custom kernel

I use the backported kernel and to do that I merely use apt/preferences to point apt to the correct kernel.
In your case you would use preferences to point apt to the kernel in kali linux's repository.

You can cache 90% of the downloads so you only download new versions of packages.

Never having had to use a hook for initramfs I can't help much there but I hope the apt/preferences and cache hints help you.
Cheers