Re: What's the prefererad way of updating live-config, live-boot and live-build?

Boström,

On 25/02/16 05:52 AM, Boström Kacper wrote:
What's the preferred way of updating live-config, live-boot and live-build, since the debian packages in Jessie are out of date? Do I just clone the repositories and copy the files to /lib/live?

As covered in live-manual, no, you clone the repositories, build the packages, and in the case of live-build, just install the result on your build system. In the case of live-config and live-boot, the preferred method is to configure a local repository in your config tree and put your locally built packages in them. Alternatively, (also explained in live-manual,) you could just drop the deb files for live-config and live-boot into your config tree.

 Am I correct in assuming that there will be no more deb package releases, if not why isn’t a newer version backported to Jessie?

No, that assumption is incorrect. The only reason there's no newer version is nobody has yet done the work. While live-build itself is orphaned, we will make an effort to fix important issues, but it is not our primary area of focus. The Debian Live team are all busy people with other areas of responsibility in Debian, and personal lives as well. Also, preparing Jessie backports are not as straightforward as just backporting what is in Stretch, as changes have been made in the 5.x packages that are not guaranteed to be compatible with Jessie. Therefore, I believe that any enhancements to Stretch desired for Jessie should be backported into a Jessie-specific branch of each package, and then each package would have to go through the more strict proposed-updates approval process before it could be accepted.

Also, I'll remind everyone that only live-build is orphaned. The live-config and live-boot packages are not. So while we'll make our best effort to ensure live-build is kept in good enough shape to not be removed from the archive entirely, (especially considering that the Jessie point releases are still being built with it, and many Jessie users still depend on it,) both live-config and live-boot are being actively developed, as they are key components for live-wrapper. Nevertheless, all three need to go through proposed-updates if we want features from them backported for Jessie, as I understand it.

All of that being said, some people have reported success with at least the Stretch live-boot (and possibly also live-config?) being used directly in Jessie builds, provided that a jessie-backports kernel is also used. If that use case continues to work for people, we do not actually need to put through a proposed-updates version of either live-boot or live-config to support it. We would only need proposed-updates uploads if we also want to support pure Jessie builds (i.e. no backports kernel) with fixes introduced in Stretch. For example, if the UEFI patch currently under discussion gets accepted, and we continue to use live-build for future Jessie point-releases, and we want that UEFI patch to be included in those point-releases, it would be best if we could get that patch backported for the live-build currently in Jessie and then accepted through proposed-updates.

None of the above should be construed as Debian Live committing to do any of these things, i.e. actually accomplishing it is subject to availability of people to do the work, and approval by the team that this is the most reasonable way forward for continuing Jessie support. So, for those who care about live-build, we need your help.

Ben