Re: Various options in Debian Live

>It's an internal variable. That file is not intended to be read/edited.
>Use the interface provided via 'lb config' instead.
I know it's an internal variable. If I am going to work on LB I need to know what's what.

>Determining what the internal variables are used for and how they're set
>can be determined by reading the code. (By definition, internal
>variables are not intended for the user and so no user doc exists.)
Thanks.

>See functions/defaults.sh:
>      <snip>
>Currently nothing but --mode progress-linux uses this. Other derivatives
>could be made in similar fashion by forking live-build and adding a case
>for each derivative in the fork for that derivative.
Ah so that was something that was specific to Daniel's personal project, ok.

>The PARENT variables are also for the benefit of derivatives, and in
>particular for an "is based on" derivative like progress-linux. Again,
>simply grepping through the code is the most straightforward way of
>finding out what they are and where they are used.
Ok.

>Sounds like you're planning to start a personal fork.
That's exactly what I'm doing.

>If so, I think it would be better to help fix the bugs and get the patches
>into shape so they can be accepted, thereby ensuring the version in
>Debian is actively maintained. Please note that mere existence of patches
>attached to bugs does not mean they are production-ready. They need to
>be reviewed, discussed and rigorously tested along the road to final acceptance.
I'm more than happy to file bug reports when I find a bug but I'm not interested in
taking a lead role in something that has been a source of angst and was forcibly
deprecated. I'm also not interested in having anyone in the Debian community
being reliant upon me and my limited coding skills. This is a personal project for me
I can teach myself through working on it and the only person who is relying on me is me.