Debian Live: no default user?

Greetings. I have the stretch versions of live-build, live-boot and
live-config on my system. Please find my auto/config file below. I
have not fiddled with any other files in my auto/ or config/ folder
trees. The resulting image has no loginable user. I understand from
http://live.debian.net/manual/stable/html/live-manual.en.html#503 that
the default user should be 'user' and the password 'live'. I also
understand that I can customise this by setting --bootappend-live.
However, why is this not working for me in the default case?

With thanks,

auto/config:
#!/bin/sh
DISTRIBUTION=jessie