persistence failing all the time

Hi,

1. I downloaded debian live cinnamon iso.

using virtualbox...

2. create a virtual hard disk of 2GB
3. booted debian live
4. formatted harddisk as ext4
5. create persistence image as per stable manual instructions
6. mounted the image
7. create the persistence.conf file
8. populated it with /

9. booted with persistence switch to get a kernel panic.

I tested this 6 times with a kernel panic all the time. Tried also to use a real physical pendrive with no luck.

when persistence is not specified, iso boots normally.

what is happening please? is there something wrong with the persistence mechanism or am I doing something wrong?

--
Robert