Re: Booting Live-ISO over PXE+HTTP using Grub loopback

On 16 February 2015 at 08:51, Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com> wrote:
> Hi and thanks for the input.
> Indeed I have made some progress.
>
>> if your images contain the httpfs package you can boot iso by ...
>> pointing the live initramfs to the iso location on your web server.
>
> This is the best solution, so let's try this path.
> 1. First the simpler case if you don't mind:
> menuentry "Ubuntu-amd64-desktop-13.04.iso" {
>   set root="http,192.168.2.100"
>   set isofile="ubuntu-13.04d-amd64.iso"
>   loopback loop0 ($root)$isofile
>   linux (loop0)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper fromiso=$isofile httpfs=($root)$isofile
>   initrd (loop0)/casper/initrd.lz  }
>
> This did not work. Grub will fetch the initrd file normally, so it must be my syntax.
> * Should "fromiso=" be full path "($root)$isofile"?
> * How is the param "live-media-path=" used? Would this work?
>   linux (loop0)/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper live-media-path=casper
> * Any other suggestions in above syntax appreciated.

So this is casper and not debian-live. While some people here might be
familiar with casper it is probably better to ask some Ubuntu folks
about that.

> 2. Now the slightly tougher case: I need to better understand the media I had previously downloaded so that I can accurately debug why Debian-Jessie fails to mount.
> I have the i386-lxde-CD-1.iso from 07-2014. Am I to understand that:
> /install.386 => live installer
> /install.386/gtk => live desktop system

No. This is probably installer iso with graphic ans non-graphic installer.

My live iso has kernel and initrd in the live/ directory.

HTH

Michal