Re: Demand for Debian Live with newer kernel

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:20:44AM +1100, Michael . wrote:
>    Iain, many people want a stable release on newer hardware so they do
>    need a newer kernel to support the hardware. Your testing release does
>    not fit all use cases and the suggestion made by Mutlu is worthwhile
>    and if I may just add it is achievable in live-build.

As you say, it is achievable with live-build, so for those that need this
image they can create one themselves.

For every image produced there is extra workload for creating the
configurations and for the testing of those images to ensure they're working
correctly.

One option I would be happy to explore for stretch would be to include the
kernel from stable-backports in the stable images alongside the stable
kernel, and you can choose to use the newer kernel from the boot menu if you
wish, although this will need discussion as it would mean adding the
stable-backports repository to the stable images and we would need to be
sure that this wouldn't have any negative effects.

Thanks,
Iain.