Re: [Vmdebootstrap-devel] Namespace issues

On 11/07/2015 12:33 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> There is an explicit reason for this. vmdebootstrap is being extended
> explicitly to provide support for a replacement for live-build. This
> work is happening within the debian-cd team to be able to solve the
> existing problems with live-build.

looks like a secret plan to me. I and nobody to my knowledge of
debian-live has heard anything about that at all, nor has there been any
information about this intention being posted to
debian-live@lists.debian.org.

also nobody of the vmdebootstrap involved people has mentioned this to
me or the audience on this years debconf in the various talks and bofhs
where image building was the topic and i was present.

> The objective is that debian-cd builds official Debian Live images
> without using live-build, using vmdebootstrap live support and
> live-build-ng instead.

oh, ok. I see.

when we agreed that the official live-images are built on petterson, we
did exactly that - we delegated only the "execution" of our build system
over to debian-cd, not the "authority" to decide which/how images are
built or built with.

but given the situation, i understand that argueing about this hijack is
futile then.

it would have been more honest to actually talk to us (we're doing this
since almost 10 years now), and take over live-* packages directly,
rathern than to uploading -ng versions of them.

So long and thanks for all the fish,
Daniel