Re: please please update the website

On 14/07/15 05:54 AM, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 13/07/15 11:47 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> $ lb --version
>> 4.0.5-1
>>
>> As I'm using the stable version I thought that I should have followed
>> the stable manual (on how to use preseed.cfg):
>> http://live.debian.net/manual/stable/html/live-manual.en.html#594
> No, that *is* the correct manual for 4.0.5-1, the current stable
> version. However, it looks like you may have found an error in it.

I stand corrected. As chals pointed out to me on irc, the builds have
fallen way behind, so while /stable should point at the current stable,
it currently still points at an oldstable (wheezy) build. So I agree,
this should be updated, as it is very confusing for users.

>> Then I realized that I should have looked in the current manual:
>> http://live.debian.net/manual/current/html/live-manual.en.html#647
> This is the manual for the current development version of live-build.
> Please only use it if you're using 5.x, not 4.x.

While the section you cited may coincidentally be correct for 4.0.5-1,
the 'current' manual was apparently built against the debian-next branch
on August 30, 2014:

http://live.debian.net/manual/current/trace

So I can't say for sure if it is 100% aligned with 4.x, and it's
certainly not something you should rely on.

Since neither of these URLs match exactly what was released in jessie,
until the website is fixed, I recommend you install the jessie
live-manual-html package on your own system and refer to that.

Sorry for the confusion,
Ben