Re: Missing "--parent-mirror-binary-updates" for live-build 4.x?

Yes, the "basic" mirror (LB_PARENT_MIRROR_CHROOT / LB_MIRROR_CHROOT /
LB_PARENT_MIRROR_BINARY / LB_MIRROR_BINARY, where appropriate) is used
also as the updates mirror, with no way to use a different mirror
specifically for such updates.

As long as LB_UPDATES is set to true, an updates entry will be written
to the apt source config. You can control this via the --updates param,
and it is currently set to false by default for sid and jessie, and true
for everything else. Actually, I think you've helped highlight a bug
here, being false for jessie looks like a mistake, in fact the same is
true for the security source. Setting sid and jessie to false, per git
history, was done as "future proofing" in v3.x, and jessie should
probably have been removed from that in 4.x, I'll create a bug report
and patch for that.

Daniel (the maintainer and author of live-build) deliberately removed
the capability to specify an updates specific mirror back in version
4.0_a16-1, which I can see by checking the git history. The specific
commit that removed it (68700f466c142082e7423282ca4caaf7552bf8e9) has
the following comment attached:

"Dropping dedicated updates (formerly volatile) mirror handling, not
needed anymore."

I imagine he had good reasons for removing it, but if you want to argue
the case for getting it back, by all means put forward your case, and if
he seems willing for it to be reintroduced, build a patch and submit it
with wishlist severity to the BTS.