APT Pin Version statements ignored

Hello,

I am trying to pin the 3.12 kernel from wheezy-backports. The following preference configuration works with the except for the Version statement to pin the 3.12 linux-*. Configuration will work if instead of the version statement I use the release a=wheezy-backports. But the newer 3.14 kernel gets build into my image. Version statement configuration will also work on a standard wheezy hard drive install as expected. Any ideas?

*** Preference file

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 100

Package: *
Pin: release a=wheezy-backports
Pin-Priority: 100

Package: *fglrx* *opencl* glx-* xvba-va-driver nvidia-installer-cleanup
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: linux-*
Pin: version 3.12*
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: initramfs-tools firmware-linux*
Pin: release a=wheezy-backports
Pin-Priority: 900

Jim Richardson CCNA-V
Director of Information Technology