Re: extlinux

Greetings,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM, <anthony@annwfyn.net> wrote:
Hey,

I have been using Debian Live to use Debian at work (to avoid Win), and so far I have to say it's been painless and loving it.

Now, on to my purpose here. I build hdd images, using syslinux as the bootloader. Recently my squashfs file has grown over 4 GB. lb switched to NTFS which brings my system to its knees and I have to hard reboot (it seems this is common). A build using NTFS would always require me to a hard shut down.

This led me to investigate using ext4 as my binary filesystem. Unfortunately it seems it is not supported for hdd images. I formatted my USB stick with ext4, copied the files, and installed extlinux. Worked perfectly.

This led me to modify binary_hdd and copy/modify binary_syslinux for use with extlinux. So far, so good. I have only tested a small number of cases, but I have been successful in creating bootable images, and upon writing to a USB stick, it boots fine on several PCs as well.

Is there any interest in the script?

I think the group is always open to ideas.

If so, is it preferred as a diff as several files are involved?

As for me git is what I prefer. I did a quick search of the mailing-list archive and found these examples for you:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2014/03/msg00020.html

https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2013/01/msg00105.html

And what are the preffered parameters to use for diff for inclusion of a patch?

See above.

On a side note, after upgrading recently to 4.0~alpha33-1 on jessie, I get the following error when running 'lb build --debug':

usage: lb bootstrap-includes [arguments]
lb bootstrap-includes: error: unrecognized arguments: --debug

imo: Best to put this on a new thread since not related to subject line.

Thanks.

Thank you for your great work,
Anthony