Re: Testing tails-greeter in Wheezy's Debian Live

Hi,

I suggest to send the questions aimed at Tails developers to... Tails
developers => tails-dev@boum.org.

adrian15 wrote (23 Nov 2014 15:42:11 GMT) :
> 1) I did a search in tails repository packages (apt-file) and there was no
> "live-persist" executable. What makes it possible that Tails live cd
> has such a file?

It's in our main Git repository:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/

> 2) Do you have in mind having a variable inside tails-greeter to disable or hide
> non-specific Debian Live features like persistence or encription (Yes, I know that
> Debian Live has persistence but I'm pretty sure it's different from the Debian Live
> one) ?

What do you mean with "different from the Debian Live one" exactly?

> That would be useful for not having to fork tails-greeter and have a common
> base code.

Sure. I guess we would be happy to take good patches that make our
Greeter more generic :)

> 3) Both: [...]

I don't have the answer to these questions on top of my head.

> 4) When I install tails-greeter apart from tails-greeter package itself there are
> some packages that are download from tails repository. These are:

> python-dbus-dev
> python-dbus

> Taking a look at:
> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/greeter/tree/debian/control?id=tails-greeter_0.8.5
> I guess this is happening because your repo versions are newer than the wheezy ones.

> Should I do apt-pinning into these packages so that the I only fetch tails-greeter
> from your repository?

Yes.

> 5) I suppose no one in Tails is planning on rewriting tails-greeter into QT instead
> of GTK, isn't it?

Indeed. GTK works fine for us, and we're using GNOME, so it's better
integrated and looks nicer.

> 6) (Kind of offtopic) Any reason why your wheezy dist in your repo has no packages?

I wasn't aware we had a "wheezy" suite. If we indeed have one, well,
it's not being used. Our APT repo layout is documented there:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/APT_repository/

Cheers,
--
intrigeri