(Solved) Persistent File Storage on NTFS

Hi,

Just posting this here in hopes of helping others. This may be old news to some,and the documentation has said this is possible since the 2.X series but I have never had any luck with it and others have asked about it in the past as well. With the latest 4.X build I was successful in loading a persistent file as described in the documentation from a Windows 8.1 NTFS partition. I included ntfs-3g in the live-build config package list and disabled hibernation in windows 8.1 which was causing kernel panic due to Windows protections built into Linux. I know this is a feature I have been wanting to have available for a long time and have seen others ask here about it in the past.

I guess the next steps are how to prevent fragmentation of the image file by windows and best file systems to use inside the image. I have been using  ext4 to good effect here within ext4 based partitions and tested that extensively for years but if others have suggestions I am definitely open to trying them out. Not sure if there are other considerations involved....

Thanks,