Isolinux and Multi language - How do you want it?

As one step for freezing Rescatux ( http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/ which it's based on Debian Live ) I need users to be able to select a language, well, most exactly a keyboard.

Currently the best way of doing it seems to be using Isolinux menus and using kernel boot parametres as described in the manual:
http://live.debian.net/manual/stable/html/live-manual.en.html#512

I want to contribute back this new feature to Debian Live but in a way that everybody likes it. You can assume that I will get the locales automatically from /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst or similar files.

* Syslinux does not support variables ( http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#Is_There_A_Way_To_Define_Constants_Or_Variables.3F ) * cmd.c32 ( http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Cmd.c32 ) is almost not useful because it would only deal with one boot parametre (i.e. being able to choose locale only and not both locale and keyboard layout) * lua.c32 ( http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Lua.c32 ) might be used for variables but I'm not quite sure.

  So there are some questions there.

1) What do you think is it way for letting the user choosing its locale?
2) How many screens would you present to the final user?
3) Have you ever tried to do something with this Lua.c32? Do you think I would be able to use it for this purpose? 4) Would you mind having like 50+ isolinux cfg files which represent the different combinations of locale, keyboards and its variants so that I can use syslinux without using variables? Or is it ok with you? 5) Are you already doing this in your Debian Live based project ? How do you do it?

Thank you for your feedback!

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/