Re: Failure to build Jessie with MATE

Last paragraph first.

The meaning of the last paragraph is simply On my laptop I have multiple installs of Jessie (MATE, Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, KDE)
each with Live build. Not one of them has worked for me. I have multiple installs of Wheezy (same DEs as Jessie)
with LB 3.x and it works fine.

I'm apologise for the confusion with regards to everything else. I'm hoping this new build on Jessie (MATE) either works
or gives a better indication what is going wrong. Either way I will report back.

On 4 October 2014 08:55, Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
On 03/10/14 07:36 PM, Michael . wrote:
> I have to ask the question that if you saw the email of August 7 yet
> the configs
> didn't come through why didn't anyone say so and ask for them?

I couldn't find the email of August 7th at all. But I did see you quote
it (but without the configs in it) earlier today. The first answer you
got was from Baurzhan asking you to post the configs. That was your
first clue.

> and why after
>  checking the list yourself and finding they are not there are you
> telling me to try
>  and check the list to see if they are there? I don't doubt your word
> on the matter.
>  I am happy to oblige as best  as I can but I can't help those who are
> helping
> me if the entire email gets ignored  just because gmail or the list
> software
> dropped the attachments.

I'm thinking it's the entire email that got ignored. Possibly *because*
of the attachment? That might have raised the spam score. But the reason
I asked you to check the archive is because that's a useful cross-check
if you see that people are confused asking for information you thought
you already provided ... could save you time in future should this
situation arise again. Try including the configs inline in your email
next time, not as attachments.

> The build you tested fine was built on the web builder, mine are built
> on my laptop.

It shouldn't matter what the build platform is. It's the same software
and should yield the same results, given the same config.

> I do not doubt you are able to build successfully and I would hope
> with software that
> is stable that you and Daniel at least are able to but I haven't and
> this is not a competition
> between you and I.

Eh? I was just dividing between possible causes, not competing. If I can
build and you can't, you either don't have the latest (but you say you
do, so let's rule that out) or your config is broken (looking more like
the real reason, but we'll see it soon, so I await your further email on
the topic).

> You can be ahead of me, I don't want to be ahead of anyone I
> asked ages ago for a little help not for a competition.

You've missed my meaning entirely, I meant only "ahead" not as in a
competition, but in the sense that I have managed to get a result that
was further along the journey from "1. create a config", "2. build
successfully", "3. boot successfully" ... you're apparently still stuck
at step 1, so let's focus on what's wrong there once we see your config.

> I have multiple wheezy installs
>  to work on Live Build 3.x and I have multiple Jessie installs to work
> on Live Build 4.x.
>  I am yet to get a successful  build with 4.x . I am hoping this new
> one works but if it
> doesn't I will give you as much info as you require.

I'm confused by this last paragraph, which seems to contradict itself:
"I have multiple Jessie installs to work on Live Build 4.x" and "I am
yet to get a successful build with 4.x" ... is there some typo here, or
some shade of meaning that differentiates the two that I missed?

Ben