method for getting speak and espeakup into a debian live image

Hi, I am totally blind and am trying to build my own debian live disc that
includes the espeakup and speak packages for use with the speak up screen
reader like is done in the debian-installer.  I have added those packages
to the package list and when running lb build those packages are
downloaded and put into the image but when I boot the system no speech
starts and I am not able to start espeakup using /etc/init.d/espeakup
start either as the live user or using sudo.  I have even tried using the
web builder and have not been emailed any links to the live rescue images
I built.  What would I need to do to make sure speak and espeakup as well
as alas are properly setup in the live build process or better yet why not
put speech into the automatically built rescue images on the live systems
project and either speak a treating when the system starts up on how to
start speech or have a boot option for starting software speech?  Nick
Gawronski