problem with persistence file

I can't get persistence to work using a 1G ext4 file "persistence" (containing persistence.conf) in the root directory of a FAT USB flash drive. I'm booting from the flash drive using syslinux, as described by Ben Armstrong (http://syn.theti.ca/2013/06/22/tutorial-wheezy-live-iso-hybrid-with-persistence-on-usb/), except that I am trying to use a persistence file rather than a persistence partition.

/var/log/live.boot.log reads:

mount: mounting /dev/sda on /live/persistence/sda failed: No such device
mount: mounting /dev/sdb on /live/persistence/sdb failed: No such device
mount: mounting /dev/sdc on /live/persistence/sdc failed: No such device
mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /live/persistence/sr0 failed: No such device
sort: /tmp/custom_mounts.list: No such file or directory
/init: line 1: can't open /tmp/custom_mounts.list: no such file
rm: can't remove '/tmp/custom_mounts.list': No such file or directory
umount: can't umount /live/overlay: Device or resource busy

I can get a persistence file to work as expected in a virtualbox VM (despite message "mount: mounting /dev/sda on /live/persistence/sda failed: no such device"), putting the ext4 file in a virtual ext2 partition and booting from an iso image.