Re: Webboot DNS Not Resolving Fetch Address with debian-live-7.5.0-amd64-rescue

On 05/08/2014 10:51 AM, chals wrote
> I read somewhere that busybox version of wget fails to resolve DNS
> correctly. That is why using the IP works and not the name. I hope
> this clears the issue.

Thank you for the reply, but what's really odd is that other utilities
can't resolve DNS either. Both nslookup and ping also fail to resolve:

(initramfs) nslookup ks.qualcomm.com
Server:    129.46.64.55
Address 1: 129.46.64.55

nslookup: can't resolve 'ks.qualcomm.com'

(initramfs) ping ks.qualcomm.com
ping: bad address 'ks.qualcomm.com'

This is making me think there's a problem with the resolver somewhere. I
even edited /etc/hosts and hardcoded the IP and hostname but it still
gives the same results.

Since the initramfs has a very limited command set there's not much else
I can think of to find out why DNS resolving isn't working. Networking
looks good, with a full /etc/resolv.conf, route, and ipconfig showing
the proper configuration for the subnet. Since I can use netcat to copy
files on/off the system to other subnets it further confirms that
networking is setup properly.

I would like to see how the full system functions properly, but I can't
log into it when it does webboot using an IP. I tried the default
username (user) and password (live) [1] but it doesn't let me log in.
Could there be another user/pass combo for a rescue/standard webboot
system?

[1] http://live.debian.net/manual/current/html/live-manual.en.html#521

--
Micheal Waltz