Selecting the appropriate driver for Broadcom wifi cards

In my live configuration, I have enabled non-free and added these packages
broadcom-sta-dkms
b43-fwcutter
firmware-b43legacy-installer
firmware-b43-installer

So, I end up with both the wl and b43 drivers installed.  So far so good.

I'm not sure how the OS decides which driver to use, but on some PCs, it loads, e.g. the wl driver, but that driver doesn't work, so I try to unload the wl driver using:
> sudo modprobe -r wl
with the intention of then loading the b43 driver using
> sudo modprobe b43

But, the wl driver can't be unloaded.  I get back this error from the first command:
Module wl is in use.

Are there any thoughts or code on how to get the OS to pick the best wifi driver or else override the choice?  There are numerous wifi drivers for Broadcom cards- e.g. see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless- and I'm wondering how to get maximum coverage without the user having to do anything.

Thanks,
Corey