non-free video driver automatic choosing & config

I hope that it's ok to ask about non-free drivers here :)

As many others, I have nvidia, fglrx and intel drivers installed in my custom live-debian build, as I use it in many different machines.

My question is: is there a way to automatically select at boot time the correct driver for the host machine? I understand that a new xorg.conf file would have to be created each time, and the tools to do it are different for each vendor (nvidia-settings, aticonfig), and would have to be overwritten each time, right?

Thanks in advance!

Marcos