Re: Too many open files

On 02/01/2014, Anthony T. <goumba_tony@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 12/24/2013 12:35 PM, Cavit VURAL wrote:
>> I am trying to build a live-cd from sid. It includes about 2.000
>> packages. After a whlie dpkg gives "To many open files" error.
>
> For anyone else encountering this issue: use ulimit and increase the number
> of alowable open files.
>
> I had this problem too, I solved it with
>
> ulimit -n 8192 (of course choose a large number of your liking)

Noticed here first in a chroot I use for live builds, when trying to
install the latest 3.12-1-686-pae kernel. It was then found to also
occur in the actual (sid) installation and the new kernel would not
boot.

It was sorted here for both using ulimit -n  4096 (in an installation
root shell, not at the chroot prompt). I read that applies only for
the session.

David