How d-i (especially live-installer) is supposed to work when LB_BINARY_IMAGES is hdd*?

Greetings,

I raise this question because when I build my system with LB_BINARY_IMAGES=hdd and LB_DEBIAN_INSTALLER=live, d-i stops after unsuccessful search for "installer CD". Should I discard it and use live-installer-launcher only?

Can I somehow integrate "hd-media" functionality into d-i built with "live-installer" setting? I would like my system to easily install both from CD/DVD (simply burned to it) and USB thumbdrive (with some installation procedure, perhaps booting with special initrd or something like this, if required).

Best regards,
Ivan.