fan running at full speed

[please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list]

Hi,

image: debian-live-7.0.0-amd64-kde-desktop.iso
box: Dell XPS8300, i5-2320 CPU

The live system appears to boot up without problems, but a fan is running at full speed and the howling effectively renders the system unusable. I am also concerned that running the system like that for the amount of time it will take me to stumble around looking for the cause and a fix could damage the fan (the optical drive is mediocre, if they cheaped out on the fan as well...)

Can someone provide me with a list of bits to look for (log entries, kernel modules, software, etc.) to help discover what's gone wrong, and stuff to try (e.g. commands, ?) to fix the problem.

- Bruce