Intermittent boot failures with error "udevd [326]: timeout: killing '/sbin/ blkid -o udev -p /dev/sda' ” error"

Once in a while, when booting a custom debian-live image, on various PCs and with various USBs, I get an error like this:

udevd [326]: timeout: killing '/sbin/ blkid -o udev -p /dev/sda'

This error repeats itself indefinitely in a loop (the image never boots) and I have to hard power down.

There are various reports of this kind of error online, but I couldn't find a solution.

Anyone else seeing this with debian-live images and know a fix?

Thanks,
Corey