Re: Debian 7.0.0 "Live" images

On Mon 13 May, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I don't burn DVDs anymore, so I did not personally test booting them
> after burning to DVD, but I have booted the same or similar images from
> the full official 7.0.0-live set successfully using kvm -cdrom
> nameofimage.iso, which should behave identically to booting a correctly
> burnt optical media.

   I was trying to show a friend the choice of desktops with an IBM ThinkPad
laptop running on battery. I am now back home with mains power, and have
tried again on both the original IBM ThinkPad, an HP Pavillion laptop, and a
Compaq Evo desktop. I was still seeing problems, so I have copied the same
ISO images to new discs from a different batch and they have worked and even
performed a shutdown correctly. It seems there was a problem with the
original discs even though they did verify OK.

> When you report "Both the i386 Gnome and KDE versions refused to open
> without a user password" please describe what happens when you boot each
> of these two images, answering these questions:
>
> Which boot option did you select?

The default first "Live (486)" option in all cases

> In the case of KDE, did it appear to autologin? (i.e. do you see the KDE
> splash screen with icons appearing for each desktop component started,
> ending finally with the KDE logo?)

   I have tried again a few times and the new KDE disc has worked. The
Compaq Evo desktop reported that KWin had crashed,

Executable: kwin PID: 4050 Signal Segmentation fault (11)

but KDE worked OK, and it responded correctly to the shutdown icon.

 ___________________

> In the case of GNOME, did it appear to autologin?

   The new disc has worked OK on all computers. What I was seeing before:

The first line is
umount: can't umount /live/overlay: Device or resource busy
then several lines of text.
I eventually see a graphic screen icon with Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover
Please log out and try again.

If I click on the Log out icon the standard log in screen appears with
"Debian Live User" and pressing enter/return asks for a password as normal.
It will not accept a blank password.

I copied the following by hand from the initial terminal:

umount: can't umount /live/overlay: Device or resource busy
INIT: version 2.88 booting
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
live-config: debconf hostname user-setup sudo locales tzdata gdm3
keyboard-configuration sysvinit sysv-rc gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager
gnome-screensaver
** (process:620): Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Failed to
open file "j/var/lib/dbus/machine-id" No such file or directory

** (process:620): Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Failed to
open file "j/var/lib/dbus/machine-id" No such file or directory
 kde-services debian-installer-launcher policykit anacron util-linux login
xserver-xorg openssh-server.

The load continues, although without wireless firmware or network, otherwise
appears OK.

   The new disc reported a problem with process:578 instead of 620 and a
window with "Gnome 3 failed to load correctly" did appear briefly, but it
did work anyway on all 3 machines.

___________________

> In both cases, do you finally see the desktop afterwards?
>
> Or where, if anywhere, is the user password prompted? This behaviour was
> not reproducible by me with i386 GNOME or amd64 KDE, nor have we
> received reports of this behaviour from anyone but you.
>

> You gave a longer list of further problems. Let's tackle the very first
> issues you're having first.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

   It appears to have been a faulty batch of blank DVDs giving random
problems, sorted by burning new copies to a new batch of blank discs.
Thanks for the help, sorry about the noise.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk