Multiple architectures on one image

I'm interested in having i386 and amd64 on one image and trying to save space by extracting the common files out of each squashfs.  I saw this rfc http://live.debian.net/devel/rfc/multiarch/ - has anyone made any progress on it?

A specific question for now:  If I have a 32-bit squashfs and a 64-bit squashfs, what is the best way to convert those two files into a "common" squashfs that would be mounted first and then union mounted with the architecture specific squashfs? i.e. what is a good way to extract the common parts out of 2 squashfs's into a new, 3rd squashfs and remove those parts from the original 2 squashfs's?

Thanks,
Corey