Re: Persistence file on the same partition of the live filesystem

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Eugenio 'g7' Paolantonio
<me@medesimo.eu> wrote:
> [Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed.]

Hi,
You are cc'd ;)

> Hello,
> I'm trying to make the "new" persistence work with a Debian Sid snapshot.
>
> I made a "persistence" file in the root of the USB device's partition
> which contains an ext2 filesystem. Inside, the persistence.conf file
> contains rules to make the root persistent:
>
>    / union
>
> I have booted with the proper boot option ("persistence"), but it didn't
> find the filesystem, thus not enabling the persistent feature.

If what you call *a "persistence" file* is a properly built image
file, persistence should work fine. Keep in mind that the
persistence.conf file must be inside the image file, and *not* in the
root of the partition. I guess this is the cause of your problem. I
hope you get it: A partition, inside the partition the image file and
inside the image file the persistence.conf file, eek!

I do not regularly use sparse files but I have tested them on several
occasions. I usually carry an USB pendrive with three partitions. One
for the live filesystem, the second one for persistence with a
persistence file with the same contents as yours i.e:

chals@odd:~$ cat /media/persistence/live-persistence.conf
/ union

(Please do *not* get confused about the different name. I have
live-persistence.conf because it is an image I built some time ago and
the file was renamed/shortened to persistence.conf. The correct name
is persistence.conf!!!!)

Everything works just fine for me. (The third partition has nothing to
do with persistence, I use it to move files quickly from one place to
the other)

> I have then created a new partition on the same device, and moved the
> ext2 filesystem there.
> The persistence now works.

Good, you see how flexible and customizable the new persistence
feature is? I love it. It is a good work thanks to the effort of the
people working on it. Congratulations guys :)

> By looking at the code I saw this line in the find_persistence_media()
> method in the 9900-misc-helpers.sh script:
>
>         local black_listed_devices="$(what_is_mounted_on /live/medium)"
>
> So, this is actually blacklisting the partition where the live
> filesystem and kernel resiedes.
>
> With the old persistence method, everything worked well.

I do not think I follow here. Correct me if I'm wrong but it is not
possible, under normal circumstances to write on the partition where
the live system is, because it is a read-only system. Again, correct
me if I'm wrong, please.

> I do not know if this is something wanted, so I'm not posting a bug report.
> Is there a way to make live-boot find a persistence file in the same
> partition of the live filesystem?

No comment on this bug report part, it is an evaluation that only
technical people can make. Sorry I can't be your man here. But I hope
my experience with persistence (what I explained above) helps. I'm
sorry if it is of no use :(

Have a nice week :)

--
chals