Custom kernel and --linux-packages option

Hi,

I need to build a custom kernel and use the resulting package as a local
package (i can't use our repository because kernel options can change
for each build).

What i do is to put linux-image package into packages.chroot but I have
problem with syslinux if i set --linux-packages to none :

P: Begin installing syslinux...
Setting up syslinux (2:4.05+dfsg-6) ...
mv: cannot stat `binary/live/vmlinuz-*': No such file or directory

This file exist only when specifying a linux package (cp from chroot in
script lb_binary_linux-image).

I think to do my goal modifying the script lb_binary_syslinux but it's
clearly a bad hack.

Is there a method to do that cleanly ? Perhaps i forgot an option ?

Regards,

Maxime