Image file Persistence and documentation.

Hi,

Should the information provided here be useful please submit this as a bug. I am no stranger to code but I am just getting to know GIT, the Debian bug reporting process, and I am not sure that my setup reflects what is expected to be testing against for bug reporting purposes. I am running Debian Wheezy with live-build, live-boot, and live-config built and installed from latest GIT. By submitting this as a bug should it prove useful I will learn exactly which steps should be taken in the future. I hope to play a much more productive role in development soon.

The problem I have run into is that regardless of where I store the persistent image file which I have created, formatted (ext4), and named as  per the unstable manual. The system will not recognize or mount it. In squeeze I have never had this issue. I have tried this on various persistent file hosting partitions including vfat and ext4 on both hard drives and usb thumb drives named as persistent and persistent.ext4 and even with "persistence persistence-label" and "persistence persistence-subtext" with the file named altered to reflect those changes for label or subtext such as persistence-test and persistence-test.ext4. I have also tried using the previous file names to try backwards compatibility but all have failed.

One thing I have noticed which could possibly be a feature or security issue depending on how it is used is that if a file is named persistence and stored in a root partition, the system will mount that partition as /dev/sxx regardless of the file contents even a text file with no content will cause this. This leads me to believe that the error is that it is not following through with the next step of mounting the file itself and dropping the intermediate mount.  I have pulled GIT for the sources listed above and have been looking over the code and would love to find the fix but I need it fixed ASAP because this feature is the single most important feature of the live system for my use and I really can not proceed with preparing for Debian 7.0 without it.

Anyway I hope this information is useful and please keep me posted on this bug or my errors in handling debian-live! I cannot wait to be running this in 7!

Thanks,