Re: netboot image, an .iso replacement

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:57:41PM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 10:27 PM, Geert Stappers wrote:
} }
} }   [ intro plus which of the three (or more) ways to go ]
} }
> > What will break when there is no NFS server?
>
> no rootfs will be found.
>
> > How early is that in the boot proces?
>
> early. in live-boot during initramfs stage.
>
> > When netbooting pxelinux.0 plus memdisk
> > plus http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/usb-hdd/debian-live-6.0.4-amd64-rescue.img
> > which network card drivers will I have available?
>
> the ones that squeeze support, modulo those that require firmware from
> non-free.
>
> > What will then be my chances for a shell prompt?
>
> without the rootfs, you'll get a 'could not find rootfs' message and
> initramfs will abort to a busybox shell.
>
> > Which of the above described way might be the road to succes?
>
> if you insist on netbooting, then, either use fetch=, or setup an nfs
> server.
>
> hope that helps.

It did help me. I translated it into
   "sereval ways are possible, all take time to travel"
So I choosed for safe way and burned my ISO once again to physical CD.

For the long run should find something else.
And that will also take precious time ...

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.