wheezy/sid x86_64

I have live-build 3.0~a45-1 on a wheezy/sid x86_64 system.

  # apt-show-versions|grep ^live
  live-boot/unstable uptodate 3.0~a25-1
  live-boot-doc/unstable uptodate 3.0~a25-1
  live-boot-initramfs-tools/unstable uptodate 3.0~a25-1
  live-build/unstable uptodate 3.0~a45-1
  live-config/unstable uptodate 3.0~a32-1
  live-config-doc/unstable uptodate 3.0~a32-1
  live-config-sysvinit/unstable uptodate 3.0~a32-1
  live-tools/unstable uptodate 3.0~a6-1

I'm using the three default auto/{build,clean,config} files. Running

  lb clean --purge && lb build

the resulting binary-hybrid.iso file has 257949696 bytes. I test it in
kvm on a second x86_64 machine and with an USB stick on the same
machine.

Both results show me a boot menu like this:

                   Boot menu
     Live ()

Then I hit ENTER and after the boot procedure I get a shell prompt like
this:

    user@debian:~S _

where the underscore is really a rectangle symbol. From this point on
there is no way to input anything to the system. It hangs or is frozen,
whatever is the right term for that.

During the boot procedure I spot one message that indicates a failing
process, it is about localedef which runs out of memory; later perl
complains about locale setting; later startpar service failed.

The exact output typed off the kvm screen with the help of a camera:

(1)

[   67.903179] Out of memory: Kill process 751 (localedef) score 778 or
sacrifice chiled
[   67.903302] Killed process 751 (localedef) total-vmL102308kB,
anon0rss:97876kB, file-rss:532kB

(2)

        LANGUAGE = (unset)
        LC_ALL = (unset)
        LC_ALL = "en_US.UTF-8"
perl: warning: Failing back to the standard locale ("C").

(3)

startpar: service(s) returned failure: live-boot ... failed
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

On the other box the output looks similar but runs much faster and while
I could spot the output labeled (3) above I did not see (1) and (2) and
I have no video camera available at the moment.

What would you recommend as the next steps?

Thanks,
--
andreas