Re: how to install build-deps?

On 01/30/2012 05:14 PM, Scott A wrote:
> Is there a build-deps.chroot.list config file or similar that provides
> the input for "apt-get build-deps" script or is a verbose list
> of dependencies my best option at this time?

installing some packages build-depends where the actual package is not
in the archive, is tricky for two reasons:

a) if you would use apt-get build-dep for some other but similar
package, you would get the build-depends of a that package as it is in
the archive at the time you build the image. that other package you're
'abusing' to determine the build-depends of your original package may
change at any time (unless you build stable), therefore, this way of
doing it is rather error prone.

b) if you would include a static list of the 'real' build-depends of
your package through the normal package list mechanism, then, you would
need to keep that list updated too. so you don't gain much, but at
least, the element of surprise is a bit shifted away from the 'other'
package (in wheezy/sid) to your original package (that you might be
monitoring for changes anyway).

but.. why don't you build a .deb of your package that you want to
include in the first place and put it into the config/packages.chroot
directory? that way, you don't have any problems and surprises.

> Would installing the the source package rather than
> the architecture dependent binary achieve the same thing?

source packages (usually diff.gz+dsc+orig.tar.gz or
debian.tar.gz+dsc+orig.tar.gz) cannot be installed, only binary packages
(.deb) can.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net