Re: out of tree modules and custom kernels in testing and beyond

[ please respect the reply-to and do not cc me, i do read the list ]

On 02/02/2012 06:42 PM, Andres Cimmarusti wrote:
> While this is true, I now have the problem that my Xorg configuration
> doesn't load the nvidia module by default.

you can either specify it manually at the boot prompt (see man
live-config), include an own xorg.conf.d snipplet (see documentation of
the nvidia driver, or live-config sources) to hardcode to always use
nvidia, or add a custom hook to live-config to do it when necessary. the
latter at some point should make it into live-config itself.

> Yes that's what I normally do, but that kernel would NOT boot by
> default.

please be specific, does the kernel crash, or does the bootloader
(config) not fit and therefore the kernel doesn't even get loaded?

> Suppose I want to build a live image of Debian testing (wheezy),
> but using sid's current 3.2.x kernel or 3.3~rc from experimental (when
> it gets there). What should the FLAVOUR be?

the same as you would use for wheezy. the concrete value depends on your
architecture and your preferences. on amd64, the default is amd64. on
i386, the default is '486 686' (means, two kernel flavours are installed).

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net