Re: cannot install openjdk-6-jre on wheezy hdd live

On 10/26/2012 08:35 AM, Андрій Шинкарчук wrote:
> Hi, try to use aptitude (seems to me you use apt-get) and install
> `http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/default-jre`

while using aptitude to install a broken package list (i.e. a list of
packages where some of them don't exist) is a workable solution (since
apt fails on attempts to install non-existing packages), it's rather
fighting the symptom rather than the root of the problem, which would be
to get rid of the non-existent packages in the first place.

given that it's rather easy to weed out non-existing packages from a
package list, the downsides of using aptitude (increased image size,
additional aptitude specific bugs that nobody really tests) would, for
me, overweight the benefit of 'saving' the five minutes of time to fix
the package list. ymmv.

besides that (and to something more constructive now).. we've always had
the desire to do a preflight test of the package lists where possible,
but failed to do so because the package lists and the configuration
isn't available before actually building the image. otoh, i just
remembered that we could download the indices into $tmp and calling apt
on the temporary indices.. i'll put some proof of concept  lb_test_*
stuff into git at some point (for lb4 however).

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net