Re: changing gconf settings

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 06:42:48PM +0100, Liam O'Reilly wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Thanks for your help. I think I understand it now.
>
> So the file etc/skel/.gconf/xxx after setting it up would be an 'initial' gconf 'database' where the only entries would be the ones I set.
>
> Thanks again
> Liam
>
> On 9 Aug 2012, at 18:00, Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> > On 08/09/2012 11:45 AM, Liam O'Reilly wrote:
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >> gconftool --type bool --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/backlight/enable false
> >> gconftool --type bool --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/backlight/idle_dim_battery false
> >> gconftool --type bool --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/backlight/idle_dim_ac false
> >> gconftool --type bool --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/backlight/battery_reduce false
> >
> > I guess you would:
> >
> > 1. create an etc/skel/.gconf/ in your includes which will be picked up by adduser when live-config
> > calls it.
> >
> > 2. use gconftool --direct to write to it (requires that you set a config source)
> >
> > I can't give you a step by step, as I have not done this myself, and only just figured this much out
> > by poking around with it a bit.
> >
> > Ben
>

> --

I had a similar issue, I wanted to add a system setting and /etc/skel/ seemed the way, but
in my case, and using live-installer to install to disk, that /etc/skel setting would not
be included in the files of an existing installed user if $HOME partition was not formated
upon install. That is, I had my files in a not formated $HOME partition and the /etc/skel/
file was not added to $HOME upon install because $HOME existed when the $USER was created,
so skel files were not added to $USER $HOME files.

So, the following solution is not live specific but system specific that applied to both
live $USER and system wide to work with install even if the user $HOME was not (re)created.
I post it here as an alternative to skel solution.

What I did to get both live and system wide gconf setting was, in a hook:

	gconftool-2 --direct  --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --set -t bool /apps/gksu/sudo-mode true

This way the setting is system wide and independent from the user creation.

Hope it helps.