The "persistent-read-only" live-boot option (Was: Replacing files in a live system)

On 21 March 2012 13:16, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
> The most recent version of live-boot has an
> option "persistent-read-only" which would get around this, that this
> is not available in the version installed on a Squeeze system
> (2.0.15-1).

Okay, so I have the unstable versions of live-boot and co. installed
by following the instructions at:

  http://live-manual.debian.net/manual-3.x/manual/html/live-manual.en.html#o454

After imaging the USB drive I add an extra ext2 partition labelled
"live-rw". If I use the "persistent" live-boot option, it's there and
I can use the file. However I still can't seem to get the
"persistent-read-only" option to work. It doesn't seem to do anything:
the second USB partition isn't mounted, so of course the file does not
appear where I put it. I can't find anything in any logs about it. How
do I use this option?

— Jason