Questions regarding diversion of flash-kernel while building chroot

Hi Colin,

I was curious why it is necessary to use dpkg-divert to temporarily disable /usr/sbin/flash-kernel per your patch accepted to live-build upstream but not start-stop-daemon which is instead just moved aside with mv a few lines above. Is it to properly handle the case where the file is updated via package upgrade? If so, I assume the other instances like start-stop-daemon need to be fixed to use dpkg-divert as well?

Additionally, I see you symlink /bin/true from outside the chroot to act as a dummy /usr/sbin/flash-kernel. This is problematic if the (E)ABI between the host system and chroot system are incompatible (eg. armel host and armhf chroot) as the binary will not be executable and thus most likely cause the build to fail if flash-kernel is called. I've filed bug #661871 in Debian BTS regarding this.

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Release Engineer