Modifying a debian live squashfs filesystem

Hello,

I am working on building a customized build of webconverger.  In order to do some of the things I want I need to add a line to the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc so that a program runs when the X server starts up so that Java will work correctly.  Currently I have a build with java included in installed packages but when I modify the squashfs I get an error that Xorg cannot load the module for the video card.  On booting my custom spin in VirtualBox I get
(EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory
waiting for X server to shut down error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, wize = 0x00c00000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

I am able to boot the customized spin correctly before modifying the contents of the squashfs filesystem so I know it's something to do with how I'm modifying it.  Here are the steps I have taken to modify the file:

sudo unsquashfs filesystem.squashfs
add a line to the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file
sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root/ filesystem.squashfs
move the old filesystem.squashfs out of the way
genisoimage -o webc-custom-blah.iso -b -r -J -l -cache-inodes -allow-multidot -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat temp/

I even tried removing the line I added just to prove that it wasn't the addition made that was causing it and the result is the same.  I have a feeling this has something to do with permissions within the squashfs filesystem but I'm not 100% sure.  Everything else seems to start up correctly until it gets to the point where the x server starts.

Thanks,
Jared