Re: Package selection of rescue flavour vs desktop flavours

On 10/05/2011 10:41 AM, Touko Korpela wrote:
> (I'm not subscribed, please cc me)
>
> Package lists of different versions of Debian Live need some coordination.
> I think that Gnome and KDE flavours should include all packages that are in
> rescue flavour. LXDE and Xfce flavours should include at least gpart,
> parted,partimage,file packers and unpackers (p7zip,zip etc.), and packages
> with "rescue" in their name.

Our policy for what gets included in the live images is that they should
match what you get if you do an install from the standard installer
images (which come in each of these desktop flavours).

Now, I don't disagree that it is useful to have some sort of rescue
image with a desktop on hand, but that's a different topic from making
the standard desktop images include the packages from the 'rescue' list
(which, if you look at the full list is quite a lot of stuff that I
wouldn't necessarily want to press into the hands of an unskilled
desktop user). But since people will tend to disagree on what their
"essential" list of rescue tools, image size and preferred desktop are,
it is hard to make package choices for such an image that would satisfy
everyone. Fortunately, live-build makes it fairly easy to make one of
your own that satisfies your particular needs. For instance, you could
combine 'gnome-core' and 'rescue' to get a minimal GNOME desktop plus a
comprehensive list of rescue tools, plus whatever else you want. Then
you could enable 'persistent' in that image and populate the persistent
partition with vital config files, etc. that are specific to your own needs.

In summary, I think what you're really after is a custom rescue image of
your own, and that would be better than forcing your particular
preferences on all other users.

Ben