Re: customize initrd

On 08/29/2011 06:52 PM, Luca wrote:
first of all thank you for your great work on Live Debian.

the live team is glad to be of assistance ;)

because I would bring my Forlex based on
Knoppix on Live Debian project.

yay ;)

I wonder if there is a way to customize boot messages and something
other of the booting process ...
I would like e.g. to colorize in red "loading ..." and over some
artworks I would add some other scripts ...

It's possible ?

everything is possible.

in general, however, as with any customization.. the problem is always twofold: doing the configuration, and doing the configuration in the most sustainable way integrated with lb.

while we can help you in questions on how to do a certain configuration/customization best with lb, it's not possible with limited ressources to also all the work in finding the solution for the customization in the first place. therefore, please do the research yourself, and then ask if unsure on the list on how to implement it best with lb.

to your specific question about 'colorizing' the boot prompt, you might want to look into http://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2010/01/prettifying-debian-boot-output.html and others.

... how do LiveBuild make the initrd image ? ...

the creation of the initramfs image is done on behalf of linux-2.6 maintainer scripts (in the respective linux-image-2.6.xx-y-zzz package, e.g. linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae). we just do a update-initramfs call during the build to ensure any (possible) user modification is included. if you're interested in the actual boot code, look at live-boot (and live-config).

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net