Re: Iso-hybrid freezing the BIOS on USB key

Some old BIOSes are unhappy booting iso-hybrid. In that case, build and
use usb-hdd images instead.

Not so old indeed, the laptop is less than 2 years old. That's sad news, this means we cannot use iso-hybrid to replace usb images on our website if we don't want to have many people complaining.

No. You just dd the file to the device, e.g. /dev/sdb (*not* to the
partition)

That's what I'm used to do. I noticed that changing the partition table with sfdisk (to add a persistence partition) makes it “fix” the partition table. It shifts the first partition to sector one, don't know if it's a good idea or not (I'd say no!).

Also normal. isohybrid plays "tricks" with the image to make it boot
both as optical media and from USB.

Ok, this is not a feature then, but a smart hack :).

Note: Persistent storage in a separate partition is currently not
working correctly with Debian Live images, though the doc from their
site indicates it should be possible. That remains as a TODO to fix in
live-build 3.x.

Mmm, not sure to understand. Due to the trick, the partition table is not editable anymore? In this case I should not try to add a partition for persistence!

JM.