Re: Fwd: Debian 'Live' install from .img to USB

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
On 05/08/11 09:15 PM, chals wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Alex <avkorff@hotmail.com
> <mailto:avkorff@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>     I have also used the command "dd
>     if=debian-live-6.0.1-i386-__gnome-desktop.img of=/dev/sdb1" to try

> dd'ing the image as you did will do.

My mistake. This happens for not reading carefully enough.

The above command is not correct, as explained here:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/the-basics.html#181

Your problem is that the image needs to be dd'd to the whole device, not
a partition. This will, of course, wipe the entire contents of the device.

Ben

@ Ben

Thanks for stepping up here. It's the same recurring mistake!

@ Alex

I'm glad the problem is solved for you. I was going to suggest that you could also try booting from a cdrom (downloading a hybrid-iso image) But now that you have discovered the existence of live-manual maybe it would be a better idea to encourage you to build your own personal customized live image.

Best regards.