Re: 2.6.39 kernel images [was: The Status page of Debian-Live is cryptic]

2011/6/1 Jordi Pujol <jordipujolp@gmail.com>:
> A Dimarts, 31 de maig de 2011 23:09:20, Michal Suchanek va escriure:
>> Or you can mount one on top of the others.
> How to do this?
> I suppose mounting one overlayfs on top of another overlayfs that uses the
> same root directory, I can't imagine any possibility that this will work.
>
>> The lower layer need not be
>> readonly, it just should not be modified.
>
> I said readonly because overlayfs will not modify it, and overlayfs does not
> allow to modify the lower filesystem while it is mounted, that is the reason
> why it's considered as readonly by me,
>
> all the ways, the live boot script will need some modifications because this fs
> is a bit different of aufs and unionfs.

I guess the order will be a bit backwards for overlayfs. aufs allows
to take N ro filesystems and merge them and put a readwrite filesystem
on top (eg. tmpfs/A/B/C). You should be able to do tmpfs/A and
(tmpfs/A)/B and ((tmpfs/A)/B)/C with overlayfs without copying
anything anywhere but I am not sure how the resulting filesystem
compares to what you would get by combining these with aufs.

Thanks

Michal