Re: Updating live USB disk with live-rw

Tomek wrote:

I want to update the Debian live on my USB disk to a daily build without touching the changes/settings/firmware added and stored on live-rw.

How stupid/brilliant/insane/dangerous is to to download the latest hdd-usb image, extract filesystem.squashfs and other files in /live directory and copy them to USB disk (overwriting the old ones)? Will all the hell break loose? Will it help if I delete some files in advance from live-rw in non-persistent run? Will it be perfectly OK? What problems can I expect?

I step up because I do not like unanswered threads ;-)

What you intend to do is a potentially dangerous thing. I am not a techie. I'm just trying to learn each and everyday a bit more. But basically as a common sense rule I would suggest backing up the partition (live-rw) if you have important data there.

Secondly I have never tried to simply extract the compressed (debian-live) filesystem onto the live media (This is the usual thing with "slax"). But I'm pretty sure it will overwrite any existing data on it (that's self evident) and secondly I doubt syslinux will be able to boot again. You will probably have to install it again or at least change its config. All this provided you don't overwrite it.

Please guys correct me if I'm wrong!!!

I know I could try the regular update/dist-upgrade with apt-get/aptitude, but this will use more and more space on live-rw. Yes, I know, bigger disks are cheap nowadays, but... I just want to know.
It seems to me that you intend to use your system as a regular debian installation. You have the legitimate right to do so, but don't you think it is like going against the idea of what a "live" system means???

Perhaps I should have put a foot in my mouth before writing all this, just in case let me do it right now :-!

And one last but not least comment: Please do not use frames with your mail. It is not very nice for those people not using html. Thanks.

Sorry for not being of much help.

Have a nice Easter holiday. Best wishes.

--
chals
www.chalsattack.com