Re: Can't boot live DVD Debian 6, KDE, 1GB

On 20/03/11 01:05 PM, dave boland wrote:
> I'm very hesitant to make any changes to the system because I dual boot
> (Windows and Mepis) and the last thing I need is more problems (I
> practice the time honored concept of 1 step forward, 2 backwards).
> Since some other livecd's do work, it seems to me that we should be
> looking at Debian to see if this ata2 thing is really necessary and if
> there are boot modes that will take care of the problem.

Sorry, but unless you furnish evidence to the contrary:

1. It is not a Debian Live problem, but a general user problem and as
such should be dealt with through general support channels (e.g.
debian-user mailing list) not here.

2. It looks very much like a hardware problem. It does not matter that
you have another OS that works with it, as it looks like the root of the
problem is your drive is jumpered incorrectly, and the fact that it is
jumpered incorrectly is not handled properly by the motherboard, thus
causing Debian issues.

So unless *your* research shows that some software-only solution will
work, you'll have to bite the bullet, open your case and fix the
incorrectly jumpered drive.

I'm not trying to be hard on you. I just want you to realize that we
support Debian Live and cannot divert energy into chasing down every
strange hardware problem you might have with Debian. The debian-user
community is much larger, has a broader base of experience, and would
therefore be better able to help.

Ben